Flint Bacchus Fumé 2021
- Wine - Flint Vineyard Bacchus Fumé
- Country - England
- Region - Norfolk
- Vintage - 2021
- Grape Varieties - Bacchus
- ABV - 11%
- Tasting Note - On the nose the Fumé has a pithy lime character with a backdrop of almonds. Although Bacchus often becomes more like Riesling in barrel, the 2021 Fumé has shades of Sauvignon Blanc with hints of cut grass. It comes alive on the palate, with all the aromas from the nose persisting above a juicy texture. It will age well and, although drinking well now, will change over time with honeyed, petrol-like characters developing over 3 to 5 years.
- Pithy lime with a background of almonds and hay, our Bacchus Fumé is a delicious counterpoint to our main Bacchus. The Fumé is processed and made in the same way, the only difference being that the fermentation and ageing takes place in oak barrels instead of stainless-steel tanks.
- After 6 months in barrel and a further 5 months ageing in bottle before release, the wine starts to evolve and open, showing lifted floral notes and a nutty character. The wine hasn’t gone through malolactic fermentation to retain a crisp and vibrant feel.
- This is a new entrant to the standard wine range at Flint, made in limited numbers (1,500 bottles only). It has been so popular with our Venn Club members, who as part of their experience taste special wines that Ben makes and pass on their comments to us. This was one of our favourites and we have decided to make it a regular thing.
- Great with - chalky cheeses, seafood (fish and chips works well!) and asparagus.